Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Blue Rooster, Cranbury

Oddly enough the first time I even heard about The Blue Rooster was here, on IEatDC's blog... This is especially strange because A) I live literally 15 minutes from this place, B) I have been to downtown Cranbury before and C) SHE DOESN'T EVEN LIVE HERE ANYMORE! I am in total and complete agreeance with her thoughts on the coziness of this place... it's downright adorable. It's like a doll house come to life, complete with darling decorations, mismatched flatwear, and tea cozies wrapped around a variety of ceramic pots. Too cute... really. The whole street is actually really great... lot's of old houses, tiny store fronts, charming restaurants.... it's downright quaint. Anyway, The Blue Rooster is a bakery and cafe... all of their breads and other baked goods are made on site, which means not only are they all super fresh (and delicious) but the place SMELLS good.

Anyway, the menu at Blue Rooster is pretty cool. They have things like quiche, or sandwich, or omelet on the menu, but there is only one type of each offered daily. While this can backfire, I've found that I am always able to find something that will make my face tres happy. On this particular visit I ordered the omelet of the day, Matt went with pancakes, and we split a scone.

Holy cow. Let me tell you a little thing about the scones here. They're RIDICULOUS! Large and dense and full of flavor (even if you go with the plain!) They pair these giant baked delights with clotted cream and their home made jam. Forget it. Seriously? FORGET IT. You will be ruined for jam for life. I can't eat jam anywhere else now. It's basically just smushed fruit... so fresh, so naturally sweet, so incredibly tasty... pair it with the mild, cold clotted cream and the butteriness of the scone? I don't know why I ever eat any food that ISNT this. To date I have tried the plain, the raisin, and the ginger cranberry (HIGHLY reccomended). You'd be doing yourself a disservice in not ordering one.


Matt's pancakes were really good. I'm not a big pancake eater, so I don't have much experience or much to compare them to, but Matt says that they were fluffy and flavorful and tender. To be frank, the real star of this dish was the pure New England maple syrup. I have never tasted anything like it, buttery and sweet, but not cloyingly so. I don't have much else to say on the subject, really.
I doubt that you will be lucky enough to the same fortune that I did, but if you visit The Blue Rooster and hear the words 'smoked salmon, cream cheese and chive omelet' do yourself a favor and order it. I know that it sounds like a lot of heaviness, but it's not at all the case. The cream cheese is almost sweet against the salt of the salmon and the creamy eggs. The chive gives it a nice oniony bite. Also, not for nothing, but they shoved a ton of fish in it... they didn't skimp on the good stuff! Home made whole wheat toast (which I immediately doused with gobs of the ridicu- jam) rounded out the platter. So good. So so so good.

The Blue Rooster is a real treat... small and intimate with friendly service and delicious, fresh food and an ever changing menu. Dozens of baked goods are also available at the bakery counter(check out the web site for the fresh breads of the day). They also offer formal teas daily, by reservation, lunch and dinner. Check it out!

The Blue Rooster
17 N Main St
Cranbury- 08512
609 235 7539

1 comment: