Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Pop Shop, Collingswood

Is there anything more comforting and smile inducing than a grilled cheese sandwich? I submit that there is not. Which is why when I first heard about The Pop Shop (which SPECIALIZES IN GRILLED CHEEEEEEESE!) from my friend SB, and THEN heard about it on tv a week later(Bobby Flay threw down with them on cheesey, bready goodness) and then heard about it from J and M shortly after THAT I knew I had to get there.... sooner rather than later! The place is pretty cute, done up 50's diner style. The best part of The Pop Shop, though (Besides the menu of course) is the location. Collingswood is adorable... a fantastic down town area with restaurants and shops and little boutiques... SO adorable. Now that I have seen the area I have vowed to go back and eat at every cute little place we saw. But I digress...

Matt and I met J and M for a delightful dinner grilled sammiches, fries, and shakes. The Pop Shop has over 20 different kinds of grilled cheeses... all with different bread, cheese, protein, and veggie combos. I opted for the Linden, which is described as chopped Angus beef, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and American cheese on a Philadelphia style pretzel. It was basically a cheesteak, on a soft twisty doughy salted pretzel, and it was amazing. Oh, the other awesome thing about this place? They have a whole menu of different kinds of fries! I KNOW. What CAN'T this place do? I went with classic fries, but only because it was my first time there. Next visit, all bets are off. I topped the whole thing off with a black and white milkshake (so thick, so creamy, perfect amount of sweetness to battle my salty dinner). How they didn't have to roll me out of the place is beyond me.


Matt ordered the Stokes, which is basically known as 'A Happy Waitress' anywhere else (aka bacon, tomato, and cheese). Served on perfectly golden, crunchy, thick country bread this was the perfect, classic sandwich. Yum. He ordered his with a side of the Louisiana fries, which are basically the regular ones just coated in a spicy cajun seasoning. Not too strong on the spices, but still gave 'em a nice kick. He also ordered a tomato soup for us to share. SO adorable, its served with goldfish crackers. The soup itself was amazing... thick and creamy, smooth and tomato-y and perfect for (you guessed it) sandwich dunking.



J and M had been there before (luckies) and knew almost immediately what they wanted. It seems that J always goes for the grilled cheese called East Zane. It's creamy, delicious melty brie cheese topped with perfectly grilled asparagus and pesto on a fresh baguette. Can you blame her for always getting it? HELLO it sounds delicious. M was torn between his love of grilled cheese and the desire to try something new and different.... new and different won out. He went with the Cuban, a sandwich homage to the mixes served in Cuba and Florida. Piled high with roast pork, ham, swiss cheese and pickles, this was really good. Nice and salty, a smidge smokey, a nice mustardy bite, all good. M also introduced us to the most intruiging dish of the whole evening.... the spicy french fries. Holy cow. Perfectly crispy fries tossed along with deep fried, super thin slices of jalapeno and onion. AMAZING. Paired with cold zesty ketchup? Forget it. Flavor explosion. I think back on these fries fondly.... and with my chin covered in drool.



Seriously, there is nothing else for me to tell you except GO THERE. Hell, Food Network gave it props as being the best grilled cheese and pitted the Super-Ginger himself against their team of sandwich making experts. Get there. Stroll around the adorable downtown area afterwards to burn off the billion calories you just ingested, then go back for a shake. I'm not joking. Go.... now. I'll wait here for you to report back.

The Pop Shop
729 Haddon Ave
Collingswood- 08108

1 comment:

  1. Thanks SO much for the great review! We're so glad that you enjoyed The Pop Shop and Collingswood. Starting in May we have a huge farmer's market every Saturday from 8 to 12. Have breakfast at The Pop Shop then stroll over to the market for great veggies, flowers and more. Thanks again for your kind words - you made our day.

    Regards,
    Stink and Connie

    ReplyDelete