Wednesday, January 27, 2010

KC Prime, Lawrenceville

I love steak (I mean... who doesn't?) but I was finding it really difficult to find a decent steak house in New Jersey. Then I found KC Prime in Lawrenceville. Hell-oooooo lovely. The place is really nice inside. Lots of dark woods, over sized booths, spacious but elegant. We were eager to get seated and order.

Matt started off his meal with a standard house salad... nothing too fancy, just cold and crunchy and good. I ordered the wedge salad, my favorite of the steakhouse staples. A half of a head of icebeg lettuce, tomato, bacon, and bleu cheese? YUM. It's my favorite flavor and texture combinations. Crunchy, icy, cold, salty, tart, tangy, zesty, creamy.... yeah. Don't mind if I do. I would have liked a little more bacon but, hey... who wouldn't?
For dinner Matt ordered the filet mignon and it came with a side of sweet potato bourbon mash. KC Prime is kind enough to offer both an 8oz and 12oz cut, and he opted for the smaller of the two. He ordered it medium rare and thats just how it came out. It was seasoned perfectly and was everything a nice cut of meat should be... soft and tender and melt in your mouth delicious. The bourbon mash was a bit heavy on the bourbon (at least in my opionion) but Matt really liked it. The plate wasn't particularly attractive... it actually looked really sad and empty, but who cares because everything was so tasty.

I had come in planning on a big ol' piece of meat, but when I saw the description for the filet mignon sandwich my mouth immediately started watering and I knew it just had to be mine. 6 ounces of filet mignon piled on top of a ciabatta roll, covered in caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms, with melted brie cheese and drizzled with a shallot and tomato sauce. Go back and read that again. Drooling? I was too. It came with their version of fries (which are really more like giant potato chips) and these were lovely. Thin and crunchy and salty. I really liked them. The real treat was the sandwich, though. So many flavor combinations (my favorite part of any dish, of course). The meat was supple and moist, the cheese creamy and soft, the mushrooms earthy and thick, the bread crusty, with a bit of bite. There were sweet onions and the tangy sauce, and it was just... well, it was damned good.. I miss it now. I'm sad it's not here with me, while I write to all of you.
To end our meal we ordered what has since become known only as 'THE dessert'. It's described as a warm dark chocolate brownie served with dulce de leche ice cream and home made whipped cream. That description doesn't come close to describing this brownie. This was SO good in fact, that I wrote down what we said while eating it, which can do a better job of explaining it's tastiness than I ever could again. "This must be what the angels eat in heaven." "Shh. No talking while we're in it's presence." "We don't deserve to eat anything this delicious.... no one does." "If God had dessert he'd be jealous of this." I don't care what you eat if you ever visit KC Prime.... if you leave without ordering 'THE dessert' you have done yourself....nay, your country, a great disservice.

Go there. Seriously. There is no reason not to. They have sandwiches and salads if you'd like a lighter (and let's face it, cheaper) meal, and steaks and seafood if you're in the mood for classic steakhouse fare. The place is decorated well, and really inviting, the service was a downright treat, and they offer a prix fixe menu that is very impressive. Also, they have THE dessert. Isn't that reason enough? Go forth and order!

KC Prime
4160 Quakerbridge Rd
Lawrenceville- 08648
(609) 799- 6023

No comments:

Post a Comment