Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Za, Pennington

We needed a new spot for date night.... somewhere not too fancy, not too far away, not too overpriced, but not boring. What we came up with is Za, a hip little place in Pennington, and it is exactly what we were hoping for. It doesn't seat too many people in the dining room, so it has an intimate feel. The back patio area is beautiful (and dare I say romantic!)... plants hang all around you.... it's almost sukkah- esque. It also doubles the seating, but clearly that is only helpful for part of the year. There is some funky modern art on the walls of the indoor space, and the outdoor tables are adorned with candles. Based on looks alone we deemed it 'perfect for date night'.

First thing out was the bread. This was no ordinary bread, my friends, this was special. Glistening buttery triangles of flat bread, sprinkled with herbs and salt served warm... AWESOME. I am all about bread... I just love it. I crave bread the way some people crave chocolate, and this was downright indulgent for me. A bit crispy, a bit chewey, this was the perfect way to start the meal.

Matt decided to go with a standard house salad... nothing wrong with that, but nothing super notable, either. My salad, on the other hand, was a flavor experience. It was a warm spinach and lentil salad, mixed in with raisins, tomato, and pistachio nuts. The lentils were seasoned with cumin and corriander, so they had that warm, smokey, foreign taste to them. With the sweet raisins and the salty pistachios, the unusual spices in the lentil really made for a crazy contrast. I enjoyed the different textures... crunchy nuts, chewey fruits, hearty lentils... it was all different tastes and feels at once. So delicious, but also crazy filling!
For dinner Matt went with the 'Za-Kabob' (not such a clever name, but a very tasty dish!) Two huge skewers of sausage, steak, mushrooms and roasted red pepper came out atop a large bed of sauteed spinach and pico de gallo mashed potatoes (more on those in a moment!) The sausage was tasty, with a snappy skin and serious grill marks. The meat was good... a bit dry if I had to complain, but otherwise super tasty. No flaws in the peppers or mushrooms, but seriously,I have never met a grilled vegetable I didn't like. The spinach was delicious... a little garlicy, very yum. The pico de gallo mashed potatoes were freaking insane. Imagine you're just sitting there, eating a bowl of mashed 'taters (as I am sure you often do) when all of a sudden someone walks by and drops a very chunky, kind of spicy salsa into the bowl! At first you're confused and a little mad, but you're soooo hungry so you eat it anyway.... BEST. DISCOVERY. EVER! This is genius. Mild, creamy potato, spicy onion and jalapeno, tart tomato, all together! YAYYYY!!!

I ordered the black truffle and goat cheese ravioli ('cuz I'm fancy like that!). These were insanely rich... a serious decadence overload! Thumb sized, paper thin slices of black truffle adorned the plate of silky, creamy ravioli. The sauce was heavenly... cheesey, thick, salty, flavorful, gooey... everything I dreamt it would be. The goat cheese stuffing in each piece of pasta was a bit sparse, but I guess any more would be a cheese overload. These were so rich that I couldn't even finish them.... Matt had to help me out and eat several (poor guy).

We loved Za... seriously. It was perfect for a date night (even a double date, but I would say to keep away with big parties!) An intimate setting with delightful food for a reasonable price... such a pleasure! Some fun things to note, there is 5% discount off of your check if you pay in cash, all of their food is cooked to order (which may mean waiting a bit longer to eat, but certainly means fresh fresh fresh!), and they have over 25 kinds of tea and 20 kinds of coffee! I cannot wait to get back here... seriously... it's November and I already want to make reservations for Valentines Day. THAT good. Yay, Za!


Za
147 West Delaware Ave
Pennington-08534
609 737 4400

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I want your entire meal!!! That salad looks right up my alley, and hi, did you say GOAT CHEESE?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete