Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paratha Junction, Franklin Park

There is no shortage of Indian food in Franklin Park, but I think I've found my favorite. Paratha Junction has amazingly fresh food, an extraordinarily friendly staff and is down right cheap. Not reasonable, not cost efficient... we're talking CHEAP. And it's good! REALLY good!

My Dad took me there recently for lunch and I have been back three times since. Their specialty is their namesake, the paratha. I like to think of it as an Indian quesadilla, because of its shape and style, but they're really stuffed breads. This is typically a vegetarian dish but Paratha Junction has several non-vegetarian versions. You can also choose the flour that you want them to be made with (whole wheat, refined white, or chick pea) at no extra charge!

On my first visit there my Dad and I ordered the Lamb Keema Paratha and the Gobi (cauliflower) Paratha. After some prompting from the waiter, who assured us that we should order something for dipping, we threw in the Daal Makhni. Oh. My. God. SO good! The parathas were perfect; crispy and warm! The lamb paratha was AWESOME. The crumbled bits of lamb had a tiny bit of heat and were so deliciously seasoned it took me a while to even remember to dunk it in the Daal. I have had Mahkni dishes before and they work amazingly with meats, but I had never even heard of a Daal Makhni. What an amazing idea! There were lentils and kidney beans in a well seasoned tomato base. It was thick and tasty, perfect for dipping. There was definitely some kind of fresh herb, I'm thinking perhaps Cilantro, possibly mint. I mixed some raw onions into the whole shebang and WOW... flavor explosion! The cauliflower paratha was equally fantastic. The cauliflower was minced into such tiny pieces it was almost paste like... the filling literally melted in my mouth. Another perfect compliment to the Daal Makhni, every bite was loaded with flavor and just outstanding.


















The meal discussed in this post cost .... get this... 11 bucks. Dad and I were both STUFFED and couldn't have fit another bite in to save our souls. I am telling you, this place is the best deal in town. On my more recent visits I have had a spinach stuffed paratha and some mango chutney for dipping (both out of this world!), but everytime I go I order the Daal Makhni... it's THAT good. The staff there is attentive and charming, and cannot fill water glasses fast enough. Oh, best part?? It's just as cheap for supper (the same menu is provided for lunch and dinner) so there are no excuses! Check it out and let me know what you think!


Paratha Junction
3201 Route 27,
Franklin Park, NJ 08823
Phone: 732.940.1005

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review.. totally agree with you about the place !!! Parathas are our favorite.. and this place is a gem of a find.

    ReplyDelete